Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Currently Reading

I just finished reading Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster, and I gotta tell you - it was AWESOME. Love her wit, snark, and all around attitude. This book was exactly what I needed right now! Grad school is stressing me out, so a light and funny read was necessary!!


A Real Librarian Rating:




I am currently reading a book recommended to me by a coworker. It's called Later, at the Bar: A Novel in Stories by Rebecca Barry. She says it's the best book she read so far this year!

From Publishers Weekly
The 10 linked stories of Barry's first-rate debut capture the idiosyncrasies of an upstate New York backwater where social life revolves around Lucy's Tavern, founded by the late Lucy Beech, who "loved live music and dancing and understood people who liked longing more than they did love." There, a limited pool of regulars drinks nightly, has the kind of revolving recreational sex that creates complications for decades, and ruins its children: "You watch a kid like Ruby Plumadore, whose clothes never fit and who smells like cigarettes... get off the bus and... subtly gird herself to walk into her front door." There's Harlin Wilder and his twin brother, Cyrus, who are in and out of work, hung up on ex-wives and waiting for the next woman to roll into their lives when they're not drinking or getting into fights. Linda Hartley, an advice columnist for adolescent mag Sugar and Spice and for Woman Today, battles her own demons; while Harlin's ex-, Grace Meyers, still has good things to say about him. The situations are familiar, but Barry gets down to the grit of her characters and captures the plangency of a local bar that serves as de facto communal household. (May)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Grad school stress? Sounds familiar! I just started reading one of the Shopaholic books because I need something totally brainless and funny to help deal with school stress. I'm right there with ya...

Amanda said...

I understand!! Have you read The Last Orders by Graham somebody? I recommend it if you have time. Speaking of which...have you heard back on how you did with the capstone? How do you think you did? Email me!!