Thursday, October 25, 2007

Currently Reading - Audience Participation!

I just finished I Hate Other People's Kids by Adrianne Frost. It was a good quick fun read - I had some LOL moments. Ahh, the truth about other people's kids!!!

Here's the book description from Amazon.com:

From the dawn of time, other people's kids have found ways to spoil things for the rest of us. Movie theaters, parks, restaurants -- every venue that should be a place of refuge and relaxation has instead become a freewheeling playground complete with shrieks, wails, and ill-timed excretions.

Now, I Hate Other People's Kids delivers a complete handbook for navigating a world filled with tiny terrors -- and their parents. It boldly explores how children's less- endearing traits have disrupted life throughout history ("And they say Jesus loved the little children, all the children of the world, but he never had to dine with one. He chose the lepers") and classifies important subspecies of tyke, from "Little Monsters" (Dennis the Menace, Bamm-Bamm Rubble) to the "So Good It Hurts" variety (Dakota Fanning, Ricky Schroeder in The Champ). Dotted with illuminating sidebars such as "Parents Think It's Cute, but It Isn't" and featuring tips on ingeniously turning the tables without seeming childish yourself, I Hate Other People's Kids is clever, unforgiving, and sidesplittingly funny.


Now I am reading a book called My Horizontal Life: A collection of one night stands by Chelsea Handler. I'm not too far into it, but so far it's great!! And yes, it's about SEX.

Here's a review from Publishers Weekly:

Opening with a cute story from when she was seven and photographed her parents having sex, stand-up comedian Handler goes on to discuss the virtues of the one-night stand, which amount to having sex early enough so you're not months into a relationship before you discover he's into "anal beads and duct tape." She discusses her quest for sex with a "black man," which doesn't work out because the date she finds on ChocolateSingles.com has a penis so large, she "would have had to be the size of the Lincoln Tunnel to accommodate that thing." After him, there's a "little midget," but she sobers up before sleeping with him. Next come a number of would-be partners with penises too small to consider. Finally, there's a guy Handler does sleep with, only an embarrassing incident involving a "giant skid mark" prevents her from seeing him again. By the end, Handler considers settling down with one man, which might actually net her more sex than these mostly unconsummated one-night stands. Anyone who laughs at the mere mention of vaginas and penises may find Handler's book almost as much fun as getting drunk and waking up in some stranger's bed.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Give me a shout - leave me some love, let me know what you are reading right now!!

p.s. Tomorrow is the big day!!!! The day I find out my grade for Capstone!!! Will I pass, will I fail? Will I graduate in December?!?! Stay tuned!!!

Ugh, I am so nervous it's making me nauseous!!!

7 comments:

Rhonda said...

Congrats again sweetie on passing!

I'm reading Hide by Lisa Gardner....I love her books! Next up is the next installment in the Max Holt/Jamie series by Janet Evanovich....the Full series.

Leslie said...

Those sound awesome! I'm currently reading about 3 books: 1) The Looking Glass Wars (which I've been reading for the entire month of October), 2) Fast Food Nation (awesome book), and 3) Crow by Ted Hughes (poems). Good luck tomorrow! *capstone dust*

Arielle Lee Bair said...

Thanks for posting about the books. The both sound hilarious and I really want to read them. :) I think I will add them to my amazon wishlist! Good luck with the capstone! I am sure things will be okay. Just take a breath. It's okay to be nervous...just remember that everything works out the way it is meant to. You will be FINE!

:)Arielle

Mrs. Mighton said...

That one book, I Hate Other People's Kids sounds hilarious! I think I may have to pick that one up! I just finished The Thirteenth Tale yesterday so I'll be starting something new tonight. I have The Other Boleyn Girl sitting on top of my TBR shelf, so look like that's next!

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

Those both sound great- I need a new book! Thanks for the suggestions :)

Anonymous said...

Just picked up The Eyre Affair, got it home and realized it's young adult lit... oh well, I'll give it a go!

Me... said...

Both these books look great! But neither one are on my book club (zooba). I guess I'll have to make a trip to the library!

I'm currently reading The Five Languages of Love. Got it as a wedding gift, pretty interesting.