Monday, July 23, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia

Confession: I hadn't read Bridge to Terabithia until I was required to for my Literature for Youth class last semester.


Bridge to Terabithia is a classic book written by Katherine Patterson in 1977, and won the Newbery Medal in 1978.

It's a story about two kids, Jess and Leslie, and their amazing friendship. You can read more about it at the Bridge to Terabithia website.

Earlier this year, they released a brand new movie version. I didn't get to see it in the theaters (even though it came our right as I finished the book!), but I did recently check it out from the library. My good friend Lynn, Scott and I made an evening of it. Scott grilled steaks, veggies and garlic toast (MMMMM!), Lynn brought over strawberries, cool whip and angle food cake, I cracked open a bottle of wine, and we settled in to watch this movie.

I LOVED it!! It followed the book really well, the fantasy element was present but not overpowering, and the characters were perfect. I totally cried at the end...



If you get a chance, you should see this movie!! And, if you are so inclined, read the book. The books are always better!!

1 comment:

Chrissy, Jess, & Baby Lena said...

I the boys name Jess? Just Jess? Not Jessie? If thats the case, I gotta read this one.