Monday, January 7, 2008

New year, new degree, new job...new state

Welcome to 2008. I can't believe I haven't updated in 4 days!! I did, however, have a great weekend filled with relaxing, lunch with a friend, football (Titans lost to the Chargers...it was a bummer, but I can't say I was surprised), and the new American Gladiators - and I have to admit, I was pretty excited about this premier!!

But now, it's time to get serious. It's officially the new year, and I officially have my new degree. It's time for me to start looking for a new job.

Now it's time to let you all in on a little secret. I just started telling people at work a couple of weeks ago. I didn't tell you before because I didn't want it getting out at work. I have at least one co-worker who reads my blog (Hi, C!!), and I just wasn't ready for my news to spread.

In April, my DH and I will be leaving the wonderful city of Nashville and heading up to the great state of Minnesota. We will be moving to the Twin Cities area - though we are not 100% sure where exactly yet...it all depends on the job search! I have to admit, I am not yet excited about this move. But, that might be a story for another time.

Anyway, in preparation for my major relocation and new job search. I've decided it's time to start updating and revising my resume. So, earlier this morning, I shot my resume off to The Resume Bee to see what she can do to help me out!! (**Disclaimer - The Resume Bee is officially on 'hiatus' as she is beginning a new career as a Travel Agent with Beach Bum Vacations. She is a dear friend of mine, and is SO awesome for taking a look at my resume, even though she is concentrating on her new career. That being said - if you are looking for a travel agent, contact Marcie, Certified Travel Concierge!!! Marcie, you ROCK my FACE off!!!)

Along with getting my resume together, I have been receiving job opportunity updates from all of the counties in and around the Twin Cities, as well as RSS feeds any job that comes up in Minnesota with the word librar* in it. Which means I get a lot of crap, but there are some good job postings there, too.

Oh, and I stalk all the county library websites...

I also got some tips from The Well Dressed Librarian in this post, as well as some links to job hunting sites and feeds from the Hedgehog Librarian. Thanks to both of you!!

I think I am doing all I can for right now. Anyone have any tips or tricks in job hunting, resume/cover letter writing, salary negotiation, or anything else related to the searching process?? If so, leave me a comment or shoot me an email @ areallibrarian@gmail.com.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

You kick ass!!!! I'll be thinking about you and your job search! And thanks for the tips for job searching...I'll be doing some of that this year too...yikes! :)

Abigail said...

Good luck with the job hunt! We'll practically be neighbors and that, I think, will definitely mean dinner or visiting!

Glad the post was useful to you-hope it helps a few others too!

I tried a new cover letter format -- I did two bulleted lists-- left side, requirement right side, how I met it. It was a lot easier to make sure I hit everything they were looking for. If you'd like, I'll round up one and send your way!

a real librarian said...

HL: I would love to see your new cover letter format!! I really appreciate your help!! =)

And I love the idea of dinner or visiting - what a neighborly idea!!

Amy said...

Just wanted to say good luck in your job search! I am sure you will find a wonderful library position. (~soon2beAEP from nest)

Rhonda said...

Good luck with your move and job search! It will all work out wonderfully. Mwah!

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

Good Luck and BEST WISHES!! I know you will land a fabulous job because you are FABULOUS! (and deserve something awesome), sending you all the best from Cali~

WDL said...

youre welcome!!

xo, WDL