Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My last assignment

I just did it, Just now, about 5 minutes ago.

I turned in my last assignment for graduate school.

If you don't know, I am in my last semester in the SLIS graduate program from the University of North Texas. Before I was accepted into the UNT SLIS program, I had applied to several schools that offer the program online. I think I had received a good 10 rejection letters. It was disheartening, but I knew that being a librarian was what I wanted, and I wasn't going to let a couple 'you suck' letters get in the way of what I wanted.

Then, in April, 2006, I received my first Congratulations! letter. It was from the University of Tennessee - Knoxville SIS program. I was so excited, I couldn't contain myself!! I finally got in!!! The next day, I got an e-mail from the program. It once again congratulated me, and offered me a nice little scholarship to start my program early - meaning in May. I got all excited - and THEN I realized that the email wasn't from UT-Knoxville. It was from UNT!! WHOOOOT!!! I got into TWO schools!!!!!!

I decided to go with UNT because I could work more at my own pace. It sounded like the UT program was a requisite 3 years with multiple trips to Knoxville. And while Knoxville isn't too terribly far away - I didn't want to have to keep heading there for classes...that's what ONLINE is for!! The UNT program only took me a year and a half, which is awesome. I just figured that paying out of state tuition for half the time would equal paying in state tuition for longer - right?

I had to go to Denton once for a Web Institute and introduction to the program we use for all our classes. I also had to go to Las Vegas once for another Web Institute for different class. These trips were actually pretty fun, and while I had to pay my own way to get there, I definitely got a lot out of them. And it all worked out pretty well - the Denton Institute was over Memorial Day weekend, and the Las Vegas Institute was over Labor Day weekend, so I didn't have to take much vacation time to go! WHOOT!!

I definitely made the best decision for me. I loved my classes (which included a Storytelling class!), and had good experiences with all of my professors.

And the best part? It's OVER!!!!!!!

I won't be traveling to Denton for my Graduation Ceremony this Saturday, but I decided to order all my graduation stuff (cap, gown, hood and tassel) anyway. I actually have to work that day, so I am going to wear my graduation stuff to work!!!

I want to give a shout out to my friend Becky, who will be starting her UNT SLIS program in the Spring semester. Becky, if you need anything - let me know!!

I also wanna say whassup to my friend Amanda (from Life and Times of a "New" New Yorker) who is working her way through the UNT SLIS program! It's a great feeling to be done - and you will be there soon!!! It's TOTALLY worth it!!!!!!!

One more thing... Can I get a WHOOOOOOOOOOOOT WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT?!?!?!

*wink*

7 comments:

Leslie said...

Congrats! This calls for a w00t!

Jessica O. said...

Congrats! You must feel AMAZING!

Mrs. Mighton said...

Woo Hoo! Congratuations! :-)

Amanda said...

Congratulations!!! You worked so hard you so so so deserve it. And I'm sure your hubby is super excited too!! I know mine will be ;)

Rhonda said...

Woot Woot!!! Congrats Mrs. Librarian! You've done an outstanding job and I am so proud of you :)

I also want to see pics of you in your grad outfit at work.

Jen said...

This DOES call for a great, big WHOOOOOOOOOT WHOOOOOOOOOOOT!!! Congrats, hon!!! :)

Amy said...

Wooooot! You made it! Well done, you.