Monday, December 3, 2007

General tips for the general public

I saw this on one of my favorite library blogs - The Society for Librarians* who say Motherfucker.

I didn't write this, but I totally agree with everything this frustrated library worker said!!! It definitely needs to be blown up and posted all over the library!!

Just some general tips for the general public.

1. It is not cool to yell in a library. Unless there is a fire, or someone needs immediate medical attention due to a paper cut severing a major artery or a shelf falls on someone.

2. I really appreciate your attempts to keep the noise level in the library down. Patrons, I really do. However, if you are trying to ask me something and your pitch is lower than a whisper - no inaudible - I cannot help you and will ask you to repeat yourself. Please do not get snippy with me.

3. If you're doing something you're not supposed to in my department, I will catch you. This goes double if you are sitting less than two feet from me.

4. Read the goddamn signs people.

5. Yes, you need a library card to check anything out of the library. This has been a rule since the dawn of time. Don't act so surprised.

6. Getting an attitude with the person who is doing their damnedest to help you with your project that is do tomorrow and you started today, is not a smart idea.

7. I am not a dog. If you need help, please refrain from doing the following: whistling, snapping your fingers, or making other various here doggy noises.

8. No, I will not bend the rules just for you, just this once. I'm very sorry. Get over it.

9. Yes, I will be more than happy to help you with your paper, research, PowerPoint, project, resume, letter, etc. No, I will not do everything for you.

10. My word is law. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.


Here is the link to the original post. Thanks to femmephantom for the post!!

2 comments: