Saturday, November 6, 2010

Review: The Word Made Flesh with audience participation!!!

When I was contacted by Harper Perennial about reviewing The Word Made Flesh: Literary Tattoos from Bookworms Worldwide by Eva Talmadge and Justin Taylor, I literally squealed and clapped my hands with excitement. First, I LURVE tattoos, I love looking at tattoos, I love hearing stories about tattoos, and I LURVE getting tattoos!!! I have five of my own, and I am ITCHING to get another one!!!!

Anyway, this book did not disappoint. First, all the tattoos have some sort of literary reference. For instance, there are quite a few quotes from favorite novels, graphics from illustrations, symbols and lots of different interpretations of passages and quotes. The stories that go along with some of these tattoos are just so fascinating, too!!! I do wish that EVERY tattoo came along with a great story, but the stories that were included were inspired!

One of my favorite parts of this book is where they talk about "Skin." "Skin" is a project started by author Shelley Jackson. She has written a short story, and has made a call for participants to agree to have one word from that story tattooed on to their skin. The text of the story will exist only on the bodies of the participants, who have to apply to be a part of the project. Once they are approved, their word is then sent to them. You can read more about it here - and you should, it's a very cool project!!!

Anyway, seriously, you need to check this book out. It's perfect for all kinds of people - the book people, the tattoo people, ALL the people!!

Check out the book's website here, and also take a look at the book trailer!!!

Oh, and tell me about YOUR tattoos!!! I want to hear if/where you have them, and a little about why!! Or, tell us what you would get...if you were to get one!! Ohhh, I LOVE audience participation!!!

2 comments:

Susan said...

I don't think this blog has been updated in awhile, but it has some great pics and stories of other literary tattoos. http://www.contrariwise.org/

I'm also a librarian and my next tattoo will most likely be from a book. I'm still trying to determine what, though.

Michelle said...

I have 2 tattoos currently. One is on my left ankle and is a yellow-pink tipped rose with a lady bug on the leaf. I chose that design because my late Grandmother's favorite flower was the yellow pink-tipped rose and I love ladybugs.

The second tattoo is on my upper right back/shoulder area. It is a fairy sitting on a mushroom with her back and wings showing with her looking to the side. I chose this design because I was moving from one job to another (it was a bit tramatic) and wanted a fresh start (mushrooms are fresh after the rain). She is sitting on a mushroom reminding me to stay grounded while being aware of "flights of fancy". The breeze blowing her hair is reminding me that life is always blowing changes my way and she is showing her back while looking backwards over her shoulder to represent that I am turning my back on the past issues while looking back at the good parts.

I put alot of thought into my next tattoo and I have several ideas, but nothing definite. I would like something literary based because I am a children's librarian, but I also want something unique.