Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Penguins!!

What a FABULOUS story time!!! I had quite a few more kids than usual, so I hope this means it's picking up!!! Even though it was in the 60's, it's back to being chilly, so I decided to do some stories about Penguins!! These stories were a BIG hit!!!

Opening Song: Shake My Sillies Out - Raffi

Book: Flip and Flop by Dawn Apperley


Rhyme: 6 Little Penguins (from Preschool Education) This was great because even though the kids didn't know the rhyme itself, they were able to "help" me by telling me how many penguins were left!

Six little penguins off an iceberg did dive,
One bumped his beak, then there were five

Five little penguins swam the ocean floor,
One saw a whale, then there were four

Four little penguins spun around, wheeeee!
One spun off, then there were three

Three little penguins with nothing to do,
One went fishing, then there were two

Two little penguins having lots of fun,
One fell off, then there was one

One little penguin when the day was done,
Went home to sleep, then there were none.

Book: Penguin by Polly Dunbar
This one was VERY popular! They loved it!!


Nursery Rhyme: Hey Diddle, Diddle!
So, this had nothing to do with penguins, but I always like to incorporate a Nursery Rhyme. I think they are important!

Pretend: Pretend to be penguins! We put our feet together, stuck out our wings and waddled around! We also dove in and went swimming and fishing. They LOVED this!!

Book: I Like It When by Mary Murphy


Craft: Circle Penguins (from DLTK-Kids)


I'm also very excited that it's FMRNS!!!! Last week, we watched Persepolis (wow!). This week, we are watching a heavy drama from 1993 called And the Band Played On, with Matthew Modine and Alan Alda. We also get to watch more of the auditions from American Idol!!!! YAY!!!! I love Wednesdays!!!

No comments: