Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Boy Scouts and Spiders!

I was super excited to receive a call from a group of Boy Scouts who wanted to come in and have a story time/tour of the library!! It's been a long time since I did a school age story time, so while it was exciting, I was also a little nervous. And, I must be honest, I got pretty much *all* of my ideas for this story time from this post from the FABULOUS Storytimeland blog. (Thanks Sunny @ the Library!!!)

Book: I Know an Old Teacher by Anne Bowen
Ok, so I realize that this book only has one tiny little snippet about a spider in it, but still - the boys LOVED it!!! I mean, come on, a teacher swallowing all the class pets?! AWESOME!!


Trivia: I pulled out some interesting trivia facts from books like Do All Spiders Spin Webs? This was also a huge hit!!



Book: Aaaarrgghh! Spider! by Lydia Monks
Also a huge hit!! I told the boys this was the only time they could be loud in the library, and that they had to yell "Aaaarrgghh! Spider!" every time it came up in the book.


Show and Tell: I showed them a picture of the Hawaiian Happy-Faced Spider, and told them it was my favorite spider.



Craft: Hand Print Spiders from Activity Village

I also told them a little about how to find books in the library, and gave them bookmarks with the Dewey Decimal System on them. They had a great time, and I am looking forward to them coming back!!

No comments: