Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Review: Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon

From the Book Jacket:
One soft, summer night in a small Vermont town, twelve-year-old Lisa went into the woods behind her house and never came out again. Before she disappeared, she told her little brother, Sam, about a door - hidden among the ruins of an old town long forgotten - that led to a magical place. A place where she would meet Teilo, the King of the Fairies, and become his queen.
Sam didn't believe in fairies, ghosts, or anything supernatural back then, and now, fifteen years later, he still doesn't. It's one of the many things that his girlfriend, Phoebe, loves about this practical, sensible man. But a series of eerie occurrences challenges Sam's hard-headed realism. As events spin out of control, the couple finds themselves questioning their reality and Sam is reminded of a terrible promise he made years ago...a promise that could destroy them all.
After reading the description of Jennifer NcMahon’s novel Don’t Breathe a Word, I knew I couldn’t turn down this review. From the minute I picked it up, I didn’t want to put it down. It has a mystery that won’t let you rest until you know what happens next. This novel was unpredictable, and actually had me second guessing the existence of fairies.

Written in two points of view, this novel follows Pheobe, modern day Sam’s girlfriend, and Lisa just before the fateful time when she went missing. Strange things start happening to Pheobe and Sam as they are reminded of Lisa’s disappearance in the form of a mysterious phone call. Having these different perspectives allow us to be let in to Lisa’s family and the events that lead up to her disappearance, as well as see how events unfold to reveal the dark secrets of this mystery.

Each of the characters added depth to the story. They were all well written and carried with them interesting and easy to relate to characteristics. I felt like each one brought something different to the story and they were all having to deal with turbulent pasts.

I really enjoyed this book! It was creepy in a way that kept you guessing. It was a great mystery, and I promise it will keep you hooked!!

Thank you to Harper Collins for sending me Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon for review!!

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

The picture on the cover of this book just pulls me in, so I'm glad to see the book is so good!

Jennifer H. said...

This book sounds so good! I'm definitely adding it to my reading list. Thanks for the review!