Saturday, May 15, 2010

Overstepping?

I've done a terrible thing. I said something to a customer at the store that I probably shouldn't have said. See, I am usually quite the customer service girl. I totally understand that if you are working in customer service, in certain unpleasant situations, one has to slap a smile on ones face and take it up the ass. I KNOW that. And I am usually all about that (because I can tell y'all about it later - ha!) But, I snapped, and said something that I know I shouldn't have... *sigh*

Woman with Return: Yeah, well, I don't know what you usually do about this, but can I return something I've worn?

Real Librarian: Oh, was there something wrong with it?

WR: Well, I wore it and I just HATED it.

RL: *sigh* Well, yes, we can do the return for you.

So, then, I realize that I've started to get that "tone." You know the one that when you actually SAY the words "yes, we can do the return for you" but the tone says "Seriously?! Just because you HATED it?! WTF is wrong with you?!?!?!" I actively try to get back into my upbeat customer service voice.

RL: Can I get your phone number? Is this information correct? Blah blah blah?

WR: Well, your attitude seems to have changed. At first you sounded upset about this.

This is where I accidentally said...

RL: Well, to be perfectly honest with you, I wouldn't return something I had worn just because I hated it.

WR: *makes that "uh!" noise one makes when offended* Well, I wore it and it totally stretched out!!

RL: Oh, well, that's different. If it's defective or stretched out or isn't up to quality standards, that's another story!

WR: Are you the store manager?

RL: No, but I am a manager here. But here's our number, her name and my name and she'll be in during these times the rest of the week. Feel free to call her anytime.

Oops. Well, seriously, don't tell me you are returning it because you hated it. Tell me it's defective!!! I know it was wrong, and I know I shouldn't have said it. And I felt really guilty later for making her feel bad, but still. Come on. I've talked to my manager, and so far no phone call from this woman.

I'm going to chalk it up to working 3 jobs and not having a day off since April 19. That's a good excuse, right? The end is in sight, though - my next day off is May 21!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

Have you ever said anything to a patron or customer that you probably shouldn't have? Tell me your stories!!!

Hey, don't forget to enter my latest giveaway!!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I have a feeling that woman just said that to make herself feel better - I bet it never stretched out. You should just forget about it.