Friday, January 22, 2010

Review: Reasons by Tracy Fabre

I am excited to tell you about the latest novel by Tracy Fabre called Reasons!!!

Delphi Brent has been making plans to spend the summer in Colorado with long time family friends, the Laughlin's. She and her parents used to spend summers with them for years, but after one fateful summer when Delphi was 17, they stopped going. Delphi really didn't know why. Once she tells her parents that she has been making these plans, they try to stop her. It then comes out that the reason behind why they stopped visiting the Laughlin's is because the three Laughlin sons were responsible for a hit and run accident that left Delphi in a coma for weeks, and one of the Laughlin boys dead. Delphi decides to go anyway, and is thrust in to the beautiful world of Statler, Colorado. She is determined to find out the truth about the accident.


I really enjoyed this novel. I thought the characters were well developed through both description and conversation. Sometimes dialog can feel a little strained, but I never felt that with this novel and these characters. I loved the interactions between Delphi and Noreen, the fiance' of one of the Laughlin brothers, who has a real problem with Delphi from day one. I also really liked the interactions between Delphi and Tam, another of the Laughlin brothers. It was great seeing their characters develop and also learn about the history of their relationship.


There are definitely some heavy issues in this novel - the hit and run, the business of the Laughlin ranch, the alcoholic tendencies of one of the Laughlin brothers. I felt deeply involved in the novel and each of its characters, but I never felt bogged down with any of it.


Once I got into this story, I didn't want to put it down. It was an easy read that totally kelp my attention and kept me wanting more.


Thank you to Renee for sending me a copy of this book!! This is Tracy Fabre's second novel, and I know she will have continued success!!!

1 comment:

Arielle Lee Bair said...

Sounds like a good read! I'm going to buy it!