Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Review: The Sky Isn't Visible From Here

I have only recently started reading memoirs and jumping into other people’s lives. I really enjoy that peek into someone else’s childhood, someone else’s thoughts, someone else’s existence. My latest memoir experience led me deep into a world of a mother daughter relationship and an emotional tale of the demons of addiction.

The Sky Isn’t Visible From Here, a memoir by Felicia C. Sullivan, is not an easy autobiography to read. It was so powerful, and even though I have never experienced addiction, I found myself drawn into the world and unable to let go of the story. It is a story about addiction, and dealing with all of that, but it is also a tale about how a mother can influence their child’s life and decisions – even into adulthood. Felicia mixes memories of her childhood dealing with her mother who struggled with an addiction to cocaine, with stories from her own adulthood and addictions. She writes with such passion and detail, it’s hard not to feel a part of the story.

All in all, this autobiography touched me in a way that I wasn’t prepared for. I can only imagine what it would do for someone who has actually dealt with the horrors of addiction. If you like memoirs, or even if you don’t, I highly recommend this book.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I love memoirs and this one sounds powerful. I'll have to look for it.

Felicia Sullivan said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of my book! I'm so glad you were moved by my story. Thank you, thank you for your kind words.

Warmly, Felicia Sullivan