Thursday, December 2, 2010

TMI Thursday


Once upon a time, I wondered if being a librarian was like being a bartender. You know, like when a patron comes up to you and talks your ear off about their medication, their horrible job, the weather, or whatever else strikes their fancy.

Well, it's been one of those days. Not that I'm complaining. I'm really not, because the public is one of the things I love most about my job. I love that they find that we librarians are easy to talk to, and it always makes for interesting stories. But, usually you get a small dose here, a little more a different day, and so on... Well, I got an EARFUL today!!!

Things I learned:
**names have been changed to protect the crazy... I mean innocent.**

Gabby (who comes in often to use the computer) taught me how to make croutons at the Cracker Barrel where she works as a food prep.

Gabby also showed me a picture of her sister's 9 week old fetus, and told me all about how she was on fertility meds that made her depressed, but then bam! she was pregnant. She started to tell me about her sister's cycle when I was (luckily!!) saved by the ringing phone. After I answered the question on the phone, I escaped to the work room to avoid hearing more about sissy's cycle...

Unfortunately, Gabby asked my co-worker to get me. Then she proceeded to tell me all about sissy's cycle - AND her own. Yeah.

Then, a woman who was checking out told me that she hadn't had a cigarette since Thanksgiving. We'll call her Smokey. I told her Congratulations!! in my most supportive "I've been there and I know how hard it is, and a week is AWESOME!!!" voice.

That's when she practically yelled at me that her daughter usually pays her a little stipend for watching her daughter's kids, and that's what Smokey used to buy her cigarettes. Her daughter told her that she doesn't have the money to give right now, and Smokey found out she was lying (presumably to get Smokey to stop smoking)!!! So, Smokey gets all mad and starts going off saying she was going to show her daughter, and she'll NEVER stop smoking now!!!

To be perfectly honest, I really do love it. It might drive me a little crazy at times, but it's all good. Working with the public is always an adventure!!!

p.s. Don't forget to enter my latest GIVEAWAY!!!

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Oh my gosh, that's hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, I had a doozy today. So weird. So offensive. Can't say it.