Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Review: The Ice Chorus

The quote on the cover of The Ice Chorus by Sarah Stonich was the first thing that hooked me. “Any woman who ever had her heart cracked open by a man should read The Ice Chorus.” Wow, right??

The Ice Chorus is a story about Lise, a woman who is finding herself. She married young, and married the wrong man. While life with her husband hasn’t been horrible – she has a wonderful son – it hasn’t been happy or filled with love. While in Mexico, Lise meets another man – a man who changes everything.

The story is set in Ireland, where Lise goes to find herself and reexamine her life. It tells the story of her marriage, her affair, and even parts of her childhood through flashbacks. This story is so vivid – you can smell the salt in the air, you can see the sunset off the beaches of Mexico. There are so many different kinds of relationships, mother and son, husband and wife, new love, friendship, and each one is believable. The characters are so strong and every one is important to the movement of the story.

I don’t think you need to have had your heart cracked open to read and appreciate this novel. I highly recommend this book to everyone who loves a good love story.

Thank you so much to Sarah Stonich for sending me a copy of this book!!!

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I love a great story about relationships and this certainly sounds like one!

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

The heart cracked open line didn't appeal to me, but the book did. It was thoroughly entertaining. Here is my review.

Please leave a comment on Rose City Reader is you want me to list your review on mine.

Anonymous said...

This one sounds so good. And I love the cover.