Thursday, July 2, 2009

Review: Jennifer Johnson is Sick of Being Single

I love chick lit, so when I was asked to read Jennifer Johnson is Sick of Being Single by Heather McElhatton I jumped at the chance!!

Jennifer Johnson is your typical girl – smart, “chubby” (although I take major issue with a girl who is a size 12 being called chubby), working in a job that doesn’t even being to realize the potential that she has. She has always wanted to be a writer, but has been working as a copywriter in the marketing department of Keller’s Department store. There are a couple other things that make this more typical in the way of chick lit – she has a gay best friend, the boss from hell, a mean sister who is getting married, and a great guy friend who is in love with her, but she doesn’t see past the friendship. The thing that sets this novel apart from others in the genre is that McElhatton has a way with dialogue. With some witty conversation and great characterization, I didn’t mind that it seemed a little familiar.

There are definitely some great adventures included in the novel, from a bachelorette party gone bad, to some…interesting dates. I loved how the unlikely seems to happen, and throws Jennifer into a world and a life that she isn’t sure she’s ready for. She falls for Brad Keller, the son of the president of Keller’s Department store, and through a series of events, we realize that not everything is always wine and roses. One thing that didn’t seem familiar in this novel was the ending – I was NOT expecting that!!!

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. I fell right into it, and didn’t really want to put it down. It was also cool for me, as a new Minnesotan, to read about places I’ve been and streets I am familiar with, and yes…even the winter weather that I am SO not impressed with. I was entertained by this one, and I think you will be too!!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like a lot of fun!