Thursday, June 18, 2009

Review: Mercury in Retrograde

When I was contacted by Paula Froelich (yes, by Paula HERSELF!!!) to read her new chick-lit book, Mercury in Retrograde, I have to admit, I was totally excited. I love chick-lit – those great summer reads that just let you fall into them. This book was no exception!!

It follows three very different women – Penelope, a reporter who is stuck in a thankless job doing whatever her editor deems worthy, Lena “Lipstick,” a socialite who works at a high fashion magazine and spends her time going to social events and checking her popularity rating on the internet, and Dana, a corporate lawyer on her way towards partnership.

There were several things that I enjoyed about the book. I loved how the book flowed seamlessly between the three characters. They each were able to tell their own stories, and how their lives intersected each others. Also, at the beginning of each chapter, there was a little horoscope for the upcoming pages.

The character development in the story was great, too! Usually in chick-lit, the central characters are totally involved and obsessed with men and their relationships, and while there were some great relationships in the book, these women were primarily focused on their careers, which was kind of refreshing. The growth of these three women throughout the story was totally believable – they really learned from what was going on around them and what was happening to them, and changed for the better.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves chick-lit – or if you just want a light fun summer type read!!

Thanks so much to Paula for sending me her awesome book!!!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Sounds great! I'm hoping to get my hands on a copy of this one.